Cabinets may be some of the most underrated parts of a home. While we give all our attention to keeping our other furniture and floors spotless, we just generally give our cabinets a quick dusting, and we’re done.
However, to make them last longer, we should also give them the same love and attention. Here are a few tips to help you take care of your cabinets:
1. Consider the material your cabinet is made of. Is it made out of hardwood or laminate? If it’s laminate, what kind of laminate is it? Does it have glass components? The material will dictate how your cabinet should be cleaned and the kind of cleaner that should be used. For example, a water and baking soda solution can be used on matte laminate cabinets, but not on glossy ones. An antique piece may also require special care.
2. Avoid abrasive materials. Yet regardless of the material, do not use abrasive cleaning solutions or tools such as steel wool or scouring pads. These can create irreparable scratches or stains on cabinets. Just use soft brushes or lint-free cloth during a cleanup.
3. Avoid wax as well. Wax tends to build up on the cabinet’s surface. This buildup attracts more dirt and grime, plus it leaves a cloudy finish in the long run. Use a no-silicone or a non-oil based furniture polish instead. And when using polish, go easy on it; only use a light coat.
4. Clean along the grain. This can ensure that the cleaning tool—whether a brush or cloth—can pick up all the dirt and prevent damage. Going along the grain also helps eliminate the need for hard rubbing, which can also lead to damage.
5. Don’t forget the hinges and handles. Cabinet handles and hinges attract the most dirt, yet sometimes they are not cleaned regularly. To get rid of the gunk on handles, you can unscrew them and let them soak in a mild soapy solution. Use an old toothbrush or a soft brush to remove buildup, then rinse before screwing it back in. The same can be done for hinges.
Of course, these tips are just for regular household cabinet care and maintenance. For more extreme cases, such as restoration after storm or fire damage, it’s best to get the services of a professional. In Montgomery, Chester, and Bucks Counties in Philadelphia, there’s only one company to approach: Niki Francis Restorations. Call our 24/7 hotline at 610-525-5001 for estimates and our emergency restoration service.